Cornell Farm History
Cornell Jersey Dairy was founded by grandpa Wilhelm Blatter near the intersection of Cornell and Barnes roads in 1921. The Cornell name was chosen to commemorate grandpa's attendance at Cornell Agricultural College (now Cornell University) to study animal husbandry after his emigration from Switzerland in 1901 at 24 years of age.
The dairy was moved to its current location in 1926 and shortly converted to a goat dairy which was better suited for the smaller property. Wilhelm’s son Ted Blatter took over the family business in 1945. In the mid ‘50s, the property was converted to growing strawberries. Ted also began growing trees and shrubs for wholesale on a part time basis while working other jobs.
On Mother's Day 1987, Ted's son Ed and daughter-in-law Deby opened a retail stand (The Patio) selling geraniums, fuchsia hanging baskets and large buckets of ripe cherry tomatoes grown in their first greenhouse. The business developed each year, adding more and more annual and perennial varieties, then containers and gardening supplies, and eventually houseplants, gifts, arbors, outdoor art, statuary and outdoor furniture.
From one greenhouse, Cornell Farm has grown to 13 and a staff of 35 or more. Today, Cornell Farm grows more than 800 varieties of annuals and perennials, gourmet hanging baskets and container gardens.